Skip to content
The NIC aims to be the UK’s most credible, forward-thinking and influential voice on infrastructure policy and strategy.
- Credible: producing reports and analysis of the highest quality, written in plain English, independent of government and all vested interests, and making clear recommendations based on rigorous evidence; and developing an evidence base which sets a gold standard in its quality and breadth.
- Forward-thinking: taking a strategic approach, which links long-term priorities with short-term action and considers infrastructure as a system, not as a collection of silos; maintaining an international perspective and engaging closely with leading edge expertise; and open to new approaches and ideas.
- Influential: building broad support for its analysis and recommendations, working across society, government, parliament and industry; producing work which is objective, fair and transparent; looking for deliverable solutions; and following up on recommendations.
- Support sustainable economic growth across all regions of the UK;
- Improve competitiveness; and
- Improve quality of life.
- A National Infrastructure Assessment once in every Parliament, setting out the NIC’s assessment of long-term infrastructure needs with recommendations to the government.
- In-depth studies into the UK’s most pressing infrastructure challenges, making recommendations to the government.
- Monitoring the government’s progress in delivering infrastructure projects and programmes recommended by the NIC.